With funding for continuing education (CE) from IMLS, SWLS invites you to visit public libraries. This is also an opportunity to earn hours toward public librarian certification, but it does require homework! Please share photos and/or videos of your tour with Shauna at SWLS. With your permission, they will be shared with library colleagues.
How does it work?
- Read the Guidelines and complete the Application. On the application choose Library Tour for “Which learning activity would you like support in funding.” Important Note: applicants must approve their request with the Library Director.
- If the application is approved at SWLS, the applicant will locally pay for eligible expenses and submit an expense form, attach any receipts, and complete a short evaluation within 30 days after the tour.
- If an applicant is a director and would like to additionally earn CE hours, they may complete a Library Tour Report and CE Activity Report.
All SWLS library staff and trustees are welcome and encouraged to apply!
How can I earn CE hours?
Read the Library Tour Report document. You can earn up to 3 hours if you complete the checklist.
How do I calculate CE hours?
This program is worth 3 hours total. Below is an optional breakdown of each activity.
- 1.5 hours to read sections 1-6 of The Wisconsin Public Library Standards, 6th Edition [OR] The Inclusive Services Assessment and Guide for Wisconsin Public Libraries
- 1 hour to tour a library
- .5 hour responding to learning objectives
= 3 hours total
Important Note: Driving time cannot be applied toward certification.
Can I visit multiple libraries and earn more CE hours?
Yes! Choose from the following options:
- Use the same document and three questions from the checklist, tour another library, and submit your responses. Note: you cannot count the time it took to read the document more than once.
- Read the other document and questions, tour a library, and submit your responses. You may earn up to 3 hours.
- You may earn up to 15 hours if you decide to repeat either of these options.
What if I don’t need CE hours?
Read the Guidelines and complete the Application. If application is approved, SWLS Library locally pays for expenses, and submits necessary forms within 30 days after the tour.
Can staff time be reimbursed?
If there is a barrier to participation (i.e. an employee works limited hours, you have limited funds for continuing education, etc.) then yes! Please contact Shauna, at SWLS, to report hourly wages so that SWLS can complete the reimbursement.
Questions? Contact Shauna Koszegi, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated 7/6/23